Matte paint is designed to reflect light in a different manner to glass paint. This goes without saying. So why is Gloss paint shiny and Matte paint matte?
The answer is in the lacquer which is applied to the paint. In gloss paint, the lacquer is designed to be absolutely flat and smooth so it reflects as much light as possible giving the gloss look. Matte paint lacquer is designed not to be smooth and flat so to reflect much less light giving the matte look.
So why does this matter?
In order to keep Matte paint matte the lacquer needs to remain “rough”. If you use traditional washing liquids, clay bars, polishes and waxes you’ll smooth out the lacquer and it’ll become gloss. Not what you want or paid extra for.
Polish is designed to remove a microscopic part of the surface layer making the lacquer smooth again. Waxes are designed to fill in any tiny imperfections in the surface layer thereby giving a much higher gloss finish.
Enough of the “theory” behind why paint is matte or gloss. What can you use to protect Matte paint?
You need a product which cleans without polishing or adding wax and you also need a product which will bind with the lacquer keeping the rough surface. After much research I’ve found just the products.
Chemical Guy’s JetSeal Matte Sealant uses innovative nano-tech polymers to create a durable shield for up to one year of protection. This sealant helps protect against water spots, contamination, and UV rays that fade and discolour matte surfaces to preserve a crisp, bold finish without leaving behind any shine. JetSeal Matte is the perfect protectant for matte paintwork, wheels, powder coat, and vinyl-wrapped surfaces.
JetSeal Matte protects through intense heat and extreme cold: UV solar rays, water damage, bird droppings, insect residues, and improper cleaning products easily stain sensitive matte surfaces, so it’s important to always keep the surface protected. JetSeal Matte was developed with aerospace technology for maximum protection and was designed to perform and protect through the harshest environments while leaving behind a crisp, textured OEM look.
To help you, at the bottom of the page is a complete list of all the products used to protect Matte Paint vehicles and where to buy them*.
First you need to ensure that your vehicle is scrupulously clean. This is because the protection doesn’t remove any dirt or marks – it seals them in so you need to make sure it’s clean. For details on how to clean your vehicle see: Cleaning Matte Paint.
I will be making videos about how to protect Matte Paint as well as Gloss paint and will post links here when the time comes.
Now that your vehicle is as clean as possible and you’ve touched up any blemishes you need to apply the coating:
- Ensure the surface is cool and dry.
- Shake the bottle well.
- Apply two lines across the width of the Applicator Pad.
- Apply a thin coat of Chemical Guys JetSeal Matte Sealant using a premium foam applicator pad. Don’t put too much on – A thin, fine coat is all that is required. A little bit goes a long way!
- Thoroughly work the Sealant into the surface using an overlapping or cross-hatching pattern. Do one section or panel at a time. Make sure the whole panel is coated.
- Allow about 20 minutes drying time depending on the temperature.
- Buff off using a premium microfibre towel.
- The following steps should be done every time you clean your vehicle:
Spray Pro Prep onto the engine and other metal parts that weren’t coated with JetSeal. Keep the spray away from tyres and brake discs.
- Spray Pro Prep onto a Workshop Wipe (do not use kitchen towel as it’s too abrasive) and wipe over the wheel rims and spokes. You may need a Wheel Spinner to help turn the front and/or rear wheels of your vehicle.
- Finally, clean your brake disks by spraying Brake Cleaner onto a Workshop Wipe and wiping down the discs.
Steps 1 – 7 above should be done about once a year in normal use, reapply Chemical Guys JetSeal Matte Sealant to keep your vehicle protected. Though you can do it more often.
Steps 8 – 10 above should be done every time you clean your vehicle.
- Chemical Guys JetSeal Matte: https://amzn.to/2qIboaE
- Premium Foam Applicator Pad: https://amzn.to/33zSKR6
- Premium Microfibre Towel: https://amzn.to/2K7JX1c
- Silkolene Pro Prep: https://amzn.to/2KbJ3Az
- Holts Brake Cleaner: https://amzn.to/36WlVQf
- Silkolene Brake and Chain Cleaner: https://amzn.to/2NZnxAj
- Tork Industrial Cleaning Cloths (Workshop Wipes): https://amzn.to/33Cdnfu
- Wheel Spinner: https://amzn.to/2Q6xC0R
*These are affiliate links and will help support this channel with a small commission at no additional cost to you. The price you pay is the same regardless of whether you use these links or not. Thank you for your support.